Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Dick Hz



Coming in just under the wire, but still technically a January release, I present Dick Hz. We start off the new year with a very boisterous album, rough around the edges with janky guitar tearing right through the center. To me this album has a very cathartic feel to it. I don't know if it comes through in the music but this was our last jam before I moved to Philadelphia and started a new job, nerves were high and a good dose of vitamin Brown was just what I needed.

Unique to this album is the fact that there's very little of Joemazing's trusty Roland D50 synth, it only occasionally makes subtle droning appearances, instead guitar takes center stage. Through sheer accident we discovered that a clipping mixer is the perfect substitute for a distortion pedal. Say what you will about your fancy $3000 guitars and their tone, they'll never have the same qualities of a beat up thrift guitar with a built in speaker.

One of my personal favorite tracks is "Journey to the Ocean Floor." Maybe it's because it's one of the few songs where the D50 makes an appearance, or maybe because I'm particularly proud of my synthy soundscaping on this one, either way it's a track with a lot of interesting textures. It's one of the more ambient tracks, but it gradually gains abrasiveness from Joemazing's nasally guitar echoes.

Also of note is the track "Compromised Structural Integrity." There's not too much to say about this one, other than it's a good example of us just saying "fuck it" and going nuts. I think we could probably both feel the jam session was wrapping up and decided to give it one last hurrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment